Thursday, December 07, 2006

Top Stories

I don't often watch the news - I read the paper when I get the chance, and I am one of those people who think that if something important happens, then I am bound to hear of it through some other source!

I watched quite a bit of news today. Let me summarise for you...

1. "Female Politicians need to dress better". It seems that Gillard has been criticised for not dressing "well". Hmmm... I think that bit of news was more of an "interest" piece than REAL news! I guess looks do go a long way though - we don't want it to, but they do!

2. "Hanson to make a return". Another story on Pauline Hanson. She must have been the "humour" story of the day! This morning on "Sunrise", she kept talking about setting "stricter immigration laws", without really stating how these laws will be made "stricter". I am not too sure about her. Sometimes she makes me angry and other times I feel sorry for her.

3. "Therapeutic Stem-Cell Research - bill is passed." It was passed despite both the parties uniting in saying "No". I think greater awareness about Therapeutic Cloning is the main reason for this "success". I have more to say on this, but I might hold those thoughts till I can compose them with more than just mere opinion.

4. "Olympian Gold Medalist Kevin Berry dies". To be honest, I don't know who he is. However, I heard a little story about him on the news which I thought gave some insight into the sort of person he was. Apparently, when he was 15, he and 3 other Olympic Swimmers went to meet the Pope. The Pope said to him, "Son, I can only fish souls out of the water - I can't swim." He replied, "Well! Come to Australia and I'll teach you how!". :)

Really that seems to be it! Much of the news at the moment is about the upcoming election. I am still not sure as to who I am going to vote for, but this year I have a few different things that I am looking out for...