Saturday, January 07, 2006

Horror-Scope

I find it very amusing that even today, my parents - and several other Indian parents, still think that seeing how well two pieces of paper match is the best indication of how compatible two people are! "That paper seems to be yellowing... too old!", "Ooooo... A5! Classy!!".

I got to see my own horoscope today. I have never really seen my own horoscope before, so I was interested in some of the things it contained. There were a series of grids (3 X 3), which apparently indicate the positions of the different planets and stars and what they were doing when I was born.

Here is a list of interesting things I picked up from my horroscope...

Caste: "Vaishnava Vadagalai Iyengar"
Date Born (Tamil): 13th day in the month of "Ayppasi"
Time of birth: 9:32 pm
Star I was born under: "Magam" (My grandma often says, "Maga-thin penn Jagathai-ye aaluva" meaning, "A girl born under the star, "magam", could rule the world"... Exxxcceellaant!)
Zodiac (In accordance with my Star): Leo
Zodiac (In accordance with the Sun): Scorpio
Ruler of my Indian Zodiac: The Sun
Ruler of my Western Zodiac: "Bhudhan" (Saturn or Mercury...- I find it hard to remember the Tamil names for the different planets!)
The EXACT Co-ordinates of my place of birth (Tirupati): 79 Deg. 20 Mins East, 13 Deg. 40 Mins North.
Day: Sunday
Sunrise on that day: 6:06am
Sunset on that Day: 5:46pm
"Thidhi" (I don't know what that means): "Dasami" - 10th day after a New moon...

Apart from the above, I also happen to know all the co-ordinates of the different planets at the time of my birth! HA! BEAT THAT!

What I want to know is, who sits inside the hospital with a compass and a telescope and says, "Right...40.376 North...22.465 East...Did you get that??". How acurate do you think the bearings are? What if the person taking down the measurements was really not feeling upto it and so just made up the numbers?? Do people go back and check?? Can I blame him, if I end up with the wrong person??

What I find really amusing is that, despite all that information, there is no indication as to how much I measured or weighed, nothing to say whether it was a normal pregnancy or if I was born with any genetic disorders! I am sure that a prospective life partner would be more interested in knowing about the horn on my head than the co-ordinates of Haley's comet at the time of my birth! (Unless of course he happens to be an astrophysicist. Let's not even get into how wierd they are!) "She has below average intelligence and is missing a lip - but look at the coordinates of Saturn!! When you add her co-ordinates to yours, you can almost spell "prefect" which happens to be an anagram of "perfect"!". Match made in heaven indeed!

I find it hard to believe (but, easier to accept), that the course of my life - and that of several others, ultimately comes down to some Trigonometric calculations...

"All Psychology is Biology.
All Biology is Chemistry.
All Chemistry is Physics.
All Physics is Maths."
- Some Mathematician...