Saturday, January 28, 2006

The Perfect couple

My grandparents decided to go to the city to watch the Chinese New Year festivities. I dropped them both of at the station and couldn't help thinking what a great couple they were.

They aren't exactly the loving caring kind of couple - not in the traditional sense anyway. They yell at each other constantly, they drive each other CRAZY, they say the worst things to each others faces and fight constantly! They don't travel together, they like to stay away from each other and always buy two of everything because they don't like sharing. However, whenever one needs the other, they know that they have someone to count on.

I think that is what makes a perfect couple. It is none of this romantic stuff - all those things like remembering birthdays and anniversaries, buying gifts, saying cooey-pass-me-the-bucket things are all things that eventually fade away. While they are all nice, it is all very temporary. What becomes lasting is simply knowing that the other person is there for you. I think you must get to this stage where you realise that you are stuck with them, so you may as well tolerate them. You get used to having the other person around and I think that is romantic in its own way.

After 50years of being married... my granddad still calls my grandma "Papa" (baby)! :D

I am also seeing my parents evolve into a much better "couple" now that they are both growing older... or maybe I am just seeing it now as I AM growing older!