Sunday, May 07, 2006

This little piggy went to the market...

There are three places that I ABSOLUTELY HATE taking my mum.

1) The Indian Spice Shop!
2) Flemington Markets (for Fruit and Veg)
3) Parklea Markets (Fruit and Veg mainly but also other random gadgets...)

I hate everything about it! I hate looking for a parking spot, I hate how my mum points out spots that are closer AFTER I have parked, I hate the crowds, I hate people screaming out "2 for $3", "$1, $1, $1 yeeeeeaaaa $1, $1, $1...", I hate the crowded aisles, I hate having to hold my breath as I walk past the fish markets and above all I hate how my mum says, "That's all", but keeps looking for stuff!

AARRGGHHHH!!!

I took my mum to Parklea today and I was VERRYY good! I drove my mum there and I waited with the trolley. Once she finished with an aisle, she would dump the veggies in my trolley, and keep looking. This way, I wasn't rushing her and she wasn't asking me to look for veggies. I don't even know why she asks me to pick veggies - it isn't like I know the difference between a good coconut and a bad one! However, today was a good day - we didn't get on each other's nerves and we were both very well behaved! I think I deserve an eggless cookie for my efforts!

However, while at Parklea today I was sooo surprised at the number of Indians there. I mean, there is always a large number of Indians at both Parklea and Flemington, but I actually felt like I was in India today! There was just soo many that it felt like you could probably label the fruit and veg in Hindi, and it wouldn't have mattered!

About ten years ago, if you saw an Indian at the markets, you would go up to them and say hello and swap telephone numbers - because meeting other indians was a rare thing. If I was to do that today, it just wouldn't have been possible (there were atleast 70 Indian families at the Fruit and Veg section alone) and it would probably have been a bit odd! "Hi! Are you from India? Yes? Here is my phone number... do come over sometime for some chai!"... (See - that would have been odd!).