Wednesday, May 31, 2006

Bio vs' The Other Sciences...

As most of you know, my younger brother Rama is currently studying Nanotechnology. As part of his course, he is required to take on a few biology subjects. I think it is fantastic because for the first time I have someone at home with whom I can discuss my project in any great detail. All my life I have had to hear my dad and brothers talk about the wonderful world of physics, electronics and communication systems. I had no one to talk to about the fantastic world of biological molecules and the cool things enzymes are capable off. Sad...but true.

So, as you can probably tell, I was overjoyed when I heard that Rama would have to study biology. I also know that if he didn't HAVE to do it, he probably would never have chosen to do it! He has a real dislike for biology.

That brings me to the topic of this post.

When I started university, I went in wanting to major in Chemistry. I had never done any sort of bio at school and I only took first year biology because I had to. I had some the BEST lecturers in first year - and coincidentally, some of the worst lecturers for chemistry, so the switch was made! I was sure that once Rama would start biology, he would give up on Physics (which is his real passion), and become totally amazed by the biological world.

I am extremely sad to admit that that has not happened :'(. Rather, he still hates biology and on top of that, tells me that he doesn't understand it! I find it hard to comprehend how someone could totally get Quantum mechanics, and not understand DNA synthesis! I was telling Rama how simple it all is and how amazingly beautiful Biology is, compared to Physics. He gives me the same lecture, only he gets the subjects the other way around.

This reminded me of Yoomi and Anika at Uni trying to tell me that Chemistry was a lot easier than Bio. I won't ever understand that either. I still dont know how to represent molecules in the Fischer model, or any of that stuff we had to do with stereoisotopes! Is it the L molecules that are biologically active or the D molecules??

I guess we are all wired in different ways and we are all able to understand and appreciate different things.

Isn't it wierd?

OOHH! I also don't understand how anyone can not want to study Science... but i also know that I am a bit wierd like that.