Saturday, February 04, 2006

The day the neighbours stopped by...

My title is just keeping with the style of my previous title... As it suggests, our neighbours from when we were living in Fiji stopped by last night. They have moved to Canberra from Auckland and decided to spend the night at our house. It was really lovely to catch up. I haven't seen them since I left Fiji!

I was speaking to our neighbour's daughter-in-law today and she was telling me how it was so good to just have someone to talk to. She is from India and got married about two years ago and moved to Auckland. She was telling me how apart from her in-laws, there wasn't that many people to converse with. Now that she has moved to Canberra, apart from her husband and her 1 year old, there was really noone for her to talk with.

I was wondering how I would be if I was to take on the role of a housewife in a country where I had noone! I would find it very hard to meet people if it wasn't for things like work and uni. I would probably have a lot of acquaintances but I think it would be really hard for me to talk to strangers. It would be terrible!

I then started thinking about times when I have spoken to strangers. Usually it is because I have to - like when I was in Sweden, or because strangers have spoken to me. I don't see myself as someone who is unapproachable but I find that I can extremely hesitant to break the ice with even the most approachable of people. I don't know why it is because often with strangers you have nothing to lose! I can't start conversations... but I find it hard to end them as well!

I am going to the cricket tomorrow!!! Watch out for me on the telly!!! (RSA vs AUS at the SCG)!! Let me know if you will be there!!! SOOO EXCITED!!!